Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

Dark and twisty

I'm sure by now you've figured out that I'm a bit "different".  An odd ball.  Silly.  Weirdo.  Whatevs.  All are adjectives that I can live with.  Keeps life entertaining.  Anyways... to add to my "differentness" today I will share with you a fascination that I have had since I was a kid.  No, it's not all things unicorn-like.  It's much better than that.  It's a loony bin.  Seriously.  I grew up right outside of the city of Buffalo, and one of the historic features there is the H.H. Richardson building (aka-The Buffalo Insane Asylum), that was a psychiatric building that was built in 1870.  The building was in use until the 1980's, but was eventually shut down because it was falling apart.  My dad worked as security there for a short while, and he would tell me about the history of the building.  The layout of the building goes from the east to the west.  When you first entered the asylum, and you were the mayor of Crazytown, you started off in the east wing of the building.  If you got better (in other words a mere citizen of Crazytown), they moved you down towards the west wing of the building.  You followed the path of the sun.  Crazyballs=The east-or where the sun rises.  Less crazyballs=The west-or where the sun sets.  I always thought that was fascinating.  Now, the part of the building that would literally captivate me (and still does), are the "Screaming Towers". (*Pictured below)
That's where you went if you were naughty and couldn't control yourself. They always held my interest because 1) they look spooky, and 2) what a whackadoo world it once was, and it was crazy (no pun intended...okay.  yes it was), how we used to treat people.
I've always wanted to go inside the building and see what it's all about.  That, and I'm fairly certain that if there ever was a thing like a past life, I'm sure I would've been a patron of this dark and twisty place.
Now, I know that this post isn't filled with hilarity, but it's just a little random fact about me.  And I hope no one takes offense to todays post either, because I in no way think that mental illness is in anyway funny.  Just a little disclaimer.
Okey dokey.  Well, there you have it.  Is there a place or thing that fascinates you?  Are you an oddball like me? (Chances are if you frequent this blog, you are.  And that is why we are friends to begin with.)
Let me know in the comments a weirdo random fact about you! :)

5 comments:

  1. I once went to buff general and told them I wanted to commit suicide, just for fun I did this, so I could experience a psych ward first hand. The locked me up in The Orange Suite for the night. Wow, you havent lived until you have spent a night in the looney bin. No joke. The hardest part was convincing the staff that I was actually sane and only did it for the experience. I never had an intentions of harming myself at all. That was a tough sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much prefer going into the "bin" now that it's empty. Not so much with occupants. That is something I could live without experiencing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't think there's "energy" remaining there? I just think of that shoe "Supernatural" or those Ghost Hunters on Discovery Channel. You couldn't pay me to go in a place where many were mistreated. Gives me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived just off Elmwood and Forrest and my back bedroom looked out to the towers... erie as they really were, they were also beautiful illuminated every nite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany-I would guarantee that there is energy there....it's kind of why I would like to go there now. I love that kind of stuff. Of course I would probably pee my pants and die from fright, but still I think it's fascinating.
    And K- I have a few pictures of the towers at night. You're right. Eerie but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete