Total Pageviews

Friday, July 29, 2011

(I am an) Oxymoron

Sometimes I feel as if I am a walking, talking oxymoron.  You know, like "jumbo shrimp", or, well, that's the only one that is coming to mind right now.  Cut me some slack.  I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet.  But I was thinking the other day how sometimes I can be a bit of an oxymoron.  It's like I'm pensively impulsive.  Once I get an idea in my head, I usually mull it over for quite some time, but then out of the blue when I least expect doing it, I, well, do it.  Let me give you a few examples.  A few years ago I got it into my head that I should be a brunette.  This thought randomly (odd, I know) popped into my head after happily being a blonde for nearly thirty years.  I thought about it for months-almost close to a year-and then one day I went in to get a hair cut and came out of the salon with some sassy new brown locks.  I had no intention of actually doing it that day, but low and behold I did it.  Then there's my knitting escapades.  I read a book about knitting (it was a stimulating read, let me tell you), and I thought to myself, "Self, you could do that.  You could knit everyone fancy ensembles."  So I again thought it over for a few weeks, and then one day as I was driving down Elm Creek Boulevard I suddenly high tailed it into Joanne Fabrics and bought me enough yarn to knit a whole village some stylish new pants.  The part where I then went home and taught myself how to knit via Youtube, is a whole other story that involves swearing, crying, and seeing how far that ball of tangled yarn could fly across the room.
And then there's painting, learning how to play the piano, and starting a blog (hey now).  I have a list of thoughts that are swimming around in the old noggin, and I'm pretty sure I'll eventually do at least some of them out of the blue one day.  That's just how I work.  Get an idea in my head.  Think it over obsessively.  Put it on the back burner.  And then one day as I'm knitting a new scarf, I'll throw down my knitting needles, storm out the door, and go and get a tattoo.  (Yup.  That actually is something that's been a consideration for quite some time.  I just don't know if I'll still be happy with a rainbow breathing dragon when I'm in my sixties.  I kid, I kid.  It's actually an badger.)
So, if one day you happen to see me snapping some pictures around town while Lenny helps me adjust the light by holding up sun shields, or you hear me schooling someone about astronomy while sporting my amazing badger tattoo, you'll know that I impulsively did something new.... after thinking about it for sixteen years. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment