Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hey Ya'll!

Fun fact number 387 about me... I find southern accents endearing. And contagious.  If I am around a person or people that have the ever-present southern twang, I find myself mimicking them.  Out loud.  I just can't help it.  The idiot part in my brain goes into high gear and I find myself saying things like, "Well, bless her heart", or referring to pants as "britches" and saying "ya'll" as much as I can.  This too stems from when I was a child, and my best friend and I would sit in my backyard and speak in southern accents for hours on end.  We were little weirdos, but entertaining little weirdos.  You would think a grown woman would be able to control herself and be more aware of the fact that she sounds like Dolly Parton on overdrive, but nooooo, it's like an uncontrollable tick.  Last Spring my husband and I went on a cruise and the ship was crawling with gen-u-ine southerners.  I thought my head was going to explode from all of the magical twangs, and there were a handful on instances where my husband had to remind me that I was born and raised in New York, and not Mississippi.  I don't think he found it as entertaining as I did when I insisted that he call me Weezer (Steel Magnolias...holler!) and that he go along with my story of being a southern belle peach farmer.  I seriously had to make a conscious effort at not speaking with an accent, and Mr. Belle had to insist that carrying around a parasol was completely unnecessary, and the closest thing that I've come to "croppin'" was a patch a dandelions on my front lawn.  But if ya'll ever see me out and about and you hear that I introduce myself as "Weezer", just go along with it.  Just make sure you ask me how peach farmin' is goin', and I'll compliment you by shouting, "Well I do declare, those are some lovely britches your wearin'!"  Just roll with it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment